The EmptyNesters is a group formed over 19 years ago by Rabbi Weinberg and a group of wonderfully energetic people who saw the need for creating an extended family at WHC for members who are beyond the "Boomers" but not yet retired.
We are a diverse group - made up of couples and individuals - who enjoy one another's company and a wide variety of activities coordinated by our co-chairs and planning committee.
Whether or not you have children is irrelevant. It's our life experiences and desire to be part of the same community that bring us together. We invite you to join us.
Our past and current events include:
- Retreats and discussions with clergy, outside speakers, and book reviewers;
- Concerts and performances, including National Theater, Kennedy Center, Theater J, Olney Theater Center, and Strathmore;
- World and local travel, including the Baltics, Jewish Italy, Annapolis, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Jewish Washington, D.C.;
- Local D.C. events, including movies, winery trips, and art museum tours;
- Special events, such as our Havdalah Dinner Programs, and our new initiative, Inside the Issues;
- Service for the Temple, including ushering at Shirei Shabbat services and managing the WHC Hunger Project, packing meals for local distribution to the hungry;
- Community service, including WHC Mitzvah Day and our special charity, N Street Village in D.C.; and
- Special dinners at WHC, including pre-Selichot, Yom Kippur break-the-fast, and Passover seder, as well as Shabbat dinners in members' homes where we can join together to connect informally.